Skip to main content
City Services

Business Licensing

A valid Lehi City Business License is required for all businesses located within the corporate limits of Lehi City.  The definition of a business includes: every craft, trade, occupation, profession, or activity engaged in for the purpose of economic gain or profit. If the business address is located in Lehi, a business license is required. Certain business professions are specifically exempt by the State of Utah from licensing fees; however these businesses are still required to obtain a license.  A Business License issued in Lehi City is valid for 12 months.

How do I apply for a business license?

Submit your Business License application on-line by using the applications below:


General Business LicenseUse this application for a brick and mortar location within Lehi City.  If you charge sales tax, you must submit the Sales Tax License Certificate that was issued through the Utah State Tax Commission. If the business is based out of your home, you must use the Home Occupation Business license below.

General Business License Change of Address Application- Use this application when you move your business within Lehi.  (Do not use for a Home Based Business – use the Home Occupation Change of Address Business license)

Home Occupation Business License Use this application when the business is based out of your home. If you charge sales tax, you must submit the Sales Tax License Certificate that was issued through the Utah State Tax Commission.  There is no charge for a Home Occupation Business License, but you must apply for a business license.

Home Occupation License Change of Address Application – Use this application when you have a current Lehi City Home Occupation Business license and have moved within Lehi and need to update your Business License Address.

Temporary Use Business License – Use this application for a temporary use such as a Fireworks Stand, Christmas Tree Lot, etc. If you charge sales tax, you must submit the Sales Tax License Certificate that was issued through the Utah State Tax Commission.

Mobile Food Vendor Business License – Use this application for a Food Truck.  If you charge sales tax, you must submit the Sales Tax License Certificate that was issued through the Utah State Tax Commission.  You must also submit a state approved fire inspection of the truck(s) or a picture of the sticker in the window showing that there is a current fire inspection.

Solicitor Business License – You must apply in person at Lehi City Hall (153 N. 100 E.) for a Solicitor Business License.  The cost  is $50 per solicitor.  You will need the completed Solicitor Application, a valid ID with a picture, and a BCI (Utah Criminal History) that has been ran within the last 6 months.  Your picture will then be taken and the solicitor will receive a badge that they must wear while they are soliciting.  A solicitor may not knock on any door that has a “No Soliciting” sign.  Soliciting hours are between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.  All the specifications are outlined in the Lehi City Municipal Code, Title 4, Business License, Chapter 4, Solicitor’s License.

You can get your BCI report at:

Department of Public Safety
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 W. 5400 S
Taylorsville, UT  84129
Phone: (801) 965-4445

Next Steps after you apply for your Business License

After you submit the appropriate business license application, your application is sent to the Planning Department for their approval.  They are checking whether or not the business is allowed in that area.  Not all businesses are permitted in all zones.  Before signing a lease, contact the Planning Department at 385.201.1030 for zoning questions.  All businesses require approval from the Planning department. This includes a home based business.

A Fire Safety Inspection may be required.  The Fire Inspector will contact you to set up the inspection if it is needed.  If you have questions on a fire inspection, please contact the Fire Department at 385-201-1081.

The last step before your business license can be issued is payment.  Once you have received all the necessary approvals, you will be e-mailed to pay the appropriate business license fee on-line.  You can click here to pay.  

After all the approvals and payment are received, you will be e-mailed the business license.  Please print it out and post it in a conspicuous place.

For more information call 385.201.1000 or e-mail

Business License Fees

General Business: $80
Temporary Business: $40
Seasonal Business: $40
Mobile Food Vendor: $40
Beer License: $150
Liquor License: $300

Home Occupation: No Fee

Renew your Business License

You can now pay for the renewal of your business license on-line using a credit card.

All business licenses will expire 12 months after they are issued.  A 25% late fee will be applied for businesses that are not renewed within 45 days after their renewal period ends.  

point of the mountain chamber of commerce

Now that you have applied for your business license, you may want to consider joining the Point of the Mountain Chamber of Commerce. This Chamber services the Lehi area businesses and offers great networking opportunities.  Contact them at (801) 891-6664 to join or apply on-line.  They are located at 225 E. State Road, Lehi, UT

more information to get started

BUSINESS NAME – Decide on a name for your business and register it with the Utah State Department of Commerce. This may be done online at This OneStop Online Business Registration site is a secure online service available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. You may also reach the Department of Commerce by calling 877.526.3994.

FEDERAL TAX ID # – You will need to get a Federal Tax ID number, also known as an Employer Identification Number (FEIN). If you are a sole proprietor with no employees, your social security number can serve as your Federal Tax ID number. An Employer Identification Number (FEIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, is used to identify a business entity. This is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service. Go to to apply for this number. You may also receive an FEIN through the OneStop Online Business Registration site.

SALES TAX # – Contact the Utah State Tax Commission for a Sales Tax Number. They can answer all your questions on whether or not you will need a sales tax number.  You can apply online through Utah’s OneStop Online Business Registration service or by mail using Form TC-69, Utah State Business and Tax Registration.

UTAH LABOR COMMISSION – With few exceptions, workers’ compensation insurance is required for all businesses operating in Utah, including sole proprietors. Please contact the Labor Commission for more information. or 801.530.6801


© 2015 Lehi City · All Rights Reserved · An ADA 508 Compliant Website