Skip to main content
Lehi Cityscape

Getting to know the Historical Society and Archives

Posted Category: Mayor's Posts, Newsroom.

As City Council member each member of the Council has City assignments, we are over. One of the assignments I have is the Lehi Historical Society and Archives. The Archives moved this last year to its present location at 99 west Main, Suite 100. The reason for this article is to let you know where they are and what they do. The mission statement for the Archives states:

The purpose of the Lehi Historical Society and Archives is to collect, obtain, record, preserve, Educate and promote the history of Lehi and its people and to document Lehi’s impact on The American West yesterday, today and forever.

John Haws was the director of the Archives until just before his passing in June of 2017. In the six years he was Director, John and the board members collected more than 37,000 photographs, biographies, newspaper articles and artifacts preserving the History of Lehi.

Lara Bangerter has been the Director since John and continues to collect and preserve Lehi History. Lara has added so much to the collections and History of Lehi. The Archives under the direction of her and the help of board members is putting together a display room. In the display room is a cabinet that features the Lehi Round-Up Rodeo, which we’ll be celebrating 85 years this June. This collection features every program, each year’s ball cap, belt buckles and scrapbooks of the rodeo’s and Queens that have reigned over each rodeo.

When the Archives moved, they also became the caretakers of the Lehi City Mary Ann Judd Johnson (a Lehi Artist) art collection. This consists of 260 watercolors of Lehi scenes and old Lehi homes. Some of these paintings are also on display at the new building. Also on display is the cornerstone of the Lehi Tabernacle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints which was erected in the early 1900’s.

Rhea Lewis, one of the Archive board members, and her 1956 Graduating class donated money to be used for shelving for the Lehi Newspapers dating back to 1914. Which includes: The Lehi Banner, The Lehi Sun, and The Lehi Free Press.

Laura and Betty Broadbent Anderson are working on displays for the Archives Building and The Broadbent Community Room in the new Police Station. There will be a collection of documents and artifacts that was given by the Broadbent family to the Archives.

The Archives are also seeking framed photos of early settlers and citizens born before 1950 to fill a large wall of Lehi residents. Also at the Archives is a small gift shop of Lehi themed items for sale.

So, if you’re looking for History of Lehi or would like to donate books, photos, documents, school, and Round-Up memorabilia or just come for a visit you’re always welcome. The Archives is opened Tuesdays through Thursdays from 12-5 p.m.

‘Thanks to all those who serve on the Archives Committee’


– Mike Southwick

Comments are closed here.