A valid Lehi City Business License is required for all business located within the corporate limits of Lehi City. The definition of business includes every craft, trade, occupation, profession, or activity engaged in for the purpose of economic gain or profit. If the business address is located in Lehi, a business license is required. Certain business professions are specifically exempt by the State of Utah from licensing fees; however these businesses are still required to obtain a license.
What is needed to process a business license?
- Planning and Zoning approval: Not all businesses are permitted in all zones. Before signing a lease, contact Planning and Zoning at 385.201.1030 for zoning approval. All businesses require a Planning and Zoning approval INCLUDING HOME OFFICES
- Fire Safety Inspection: Businesses require a fire safety inspection prior to opening. Please contact the Fire Department at 385.201.1081 to schedule inspection.
- Business License Application: Complete the application and submit it in person at Lehi City Hall.
- Business License Fee: Pay the appropriate fee listed below.
Business License Fees
General Business: $80
Home Business: $40
Temporary Business: $40
Seasonal Business: $40
Mobile Food Vendor: $40
Beer License: $150
Liquor License: $300
You can now pay for the renewal of your business license on-line using a credit card.
Business Licenses are valid for one calendar year, from January 1 to December 31. Regardless of when the license was first obtained, all licenses expire on December 31 of each year and must be renewed on an annual basis. A 25% late fee is applied for businesses that are not renewed by February 15.
Business License Application Procedure:
A helpful checklist to get you started:
- BUSINESS NAME – Decide on a name for your business and register it with the Utah State Department of Commerce. This may be done online at www.business.utah.gov/registration. This OneStop Online Business Registration site is a secure online service available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. You may also reach the Department of Commerce by calling 877.526.3994.
- FEDERAL TAX ID # – You will need to get a Federal Tax ID number, also known as an Employer Identification Number (FEIN). If you are a sole proprietor with no employees, your social security number can serve as your Federal Tax ID number. An Employer Identification Number (FEIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, is used to identify a business entity. This is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service. Go to www.irs.gov to apply for this number. You may also receive an FEIN through the OneStop Online Business Registration site.
- SALES TAX # – Contact the Utah State Tax Commission for a Sales Tax Number. They can answer all your questions on whether or not you will need a sales tax number. You can apply online through Utah’s OneStop Online Business Registration service or by mail using Form TC-69, Utah State Business and Tax Registration.
- UTAH LABOR COMMISSION – With few exceptions, workers’ compensation insurance is required for all businesses operating in Utah, including sole proprietors. Please contact the Labor Commission for more information. Laborcommission.utah.gov or 801.530.6801
Please submit your completed application in person at Lehi City Hall, 153 North 100 East. Applications are accepted between 7 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Thursday. For more information call 385.201.1030.