City Services

Business Licensing

A valid Lehi City Business License is required for all business located within the corporate limits of Lehi City.  The definition of business includes every craft, trade, occupation, profession, or activity engaged in for the purpose of economic gain or profit. If the business address is located in Lehi, a business license is required. Certain business professions are specifically exempt by the State of Utah from licensing fees; however these businesses are still required to obtain a license.

What is needed to process a business license?

You can now submit your Business License application on-line!

General Business License – Use this application for a brick and mortar location within Lehi City

Home Occupation Business License – Use this application when the business is based out of your home.

Temporary Use Business License – Use this application for a temporary use such as a Fireworks Stand, Christmas Tree Lot, etc.

Mobile Food Vendor Business License – Use this application for a Food Truck


Planning and Zoning approval: Not all businesses are permitted in all zones.  Before signing a lease, contact Planning and Zoning at 385.201.1030 for zoning approval.  All businesses require approval from the Planning department. This includes a home based businesses.

Fire Safety Inspection: All businesses require a fire safety inspection prior to opening.  Please contact the Fire Department at 385.201.1081 to schedule your fire inspection.


Business License Fees

General Business: $80
Temporary Business: $40
Seasonal Business: $40
Mobile Food Vendor: $40
Beer License: $150
Liquor License: $300

Renew your Business License

You can now pay for the renewal of your business license on-line using a credit card.

Business Licenses are valid for one calendar year, from January 1 to December 31.  All licenses expire on December 31 of each year, regardless of when the license was first obtained, and must be renewed on an annual basis.  A 25% late fee is applied for businesses that are not renewed by February 15.

Starting July 1, 2019 all business licenses will expire 12 months after they are issued.  the 25% late fee will be applied for businesses that are not renewed within 45 days after their renewal period ends.  

Home Occupation Business Licenses

In 2017, Senate Bill 81, made changes to the provisions authorizing a city to charge a fee or require a license for certain home-based businesses.  Lehi City may still charge a fee and require a license for businesses that create an impact on the city (see Subsection 7(b)).

Home Occupation Permit Fee: $0

Home Occupation Business License Fee: $0

Business License Application Procedure:

You can submit your completed application on-line or in person at Lehi City Hall, 153 North 100 East. Applications are accepted between 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.

For more information call 385.201.2279.

Let’s get Started!

BUSINESS NAME – Decide on a name for your business and register it with the Utah State Department of Commerce. This may be done online at This OneStop Online Business Registration site is a secure online service available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. You may also reach the Department of Commerce by calling 877.526.3994.

FEDERAL TAX ID # – You will need to get a Federal Tax ID number, also known as an Employer Identification Number (FEIN). If you are a sole proprietor with no employees, your social security number can serve as your Federal Tax ID number. An Employer Identification Number (FEIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, is used to identify a business entity. This is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service. Go to to apply for this number. You may also receive an FEIN through the OneStop Online Business Registration site.

SALES TAX # – Contact the Utah State Tax Commission for a Sales Tax Number. They can answer all your questions on whether or not you will need a sales tax number.  You can apply online through Utah’s OneStop Online Business Registration service or by mail using Form TC-69, Utah State Business and Tax Registration.

UTAH LABOR COMMISSION – With few exceptions, workers’ compensation insurance is required for all businesses operating in Utah, including sole proprietors. Please contact the Labor Commission for more information. or 801.530.6801


© 2015 Lehi City · All Rights Reserved · An ADA 508 Compliant Website